Sunday, September 19, 2010

Chianti - Exploring the Vineyards, Tasting the Wine

Through FlorenceForFun, I traveled to Chianti with three of my friends: Lauren, Elsa, and Jess. It was an amazing trip, and I am so happy that I decided to visit Chianti through FFF. Although traveling to Chianti through FFF was a bit pricier (€40) than it would have been if I'd arranged the trip myself, we were provided with two hilarious tour guides, granted permission to tour/hike an expansive vineyard in Panzano, and go to a vintner's home for a private meal and wine tasting. This may in fact have been my favorite day I've spent in Italy!


We learned that Chianti is predominantly made with sangiovese grapes, and is ruby red in color, though it changes slightly during the aging process. I was shocked to learn how extremely the color of wine can vary. According to our guides, white wines range in color from green to yellow to brown. Brown wine is something I could be apprehensive to taste.






We were also instructed on proper wine-tasting technique. However, they served us two glasses of per course (4 courses in total), and very few individuals in the group seemed to be taking the time to Look, Smell, and Taste. I bought a small 750mL bottle to bring home to my parents. I'm not the biggest fan of red wine. However, I wasn't that big of a fan of white wine before this semester, so who knows if this bottle will make it home... just kidding!


Overall, I had an absolutely amazing day in Chianti. I can't wait to book the rest of my trips for the semester!
My friends are weird :)

No comments:

Post a Comment